Russia Agrees to Shut Down AllofMP3.com at U.S. Request – or did it?
Text of Agreement
Visa and Mastercard halting service to AllofMP3 effectively shut it down. In the face of the credit card departures, AllofMP3.com said it would move to an advertising supported model. Now Russia and the U.S. appear to have reached an agreement to shut it down – or did they?
ars technica and others are reporting that AllofMP3 says it will not be shut down. Instead it says Russia agreed to certain copyright reforms that AllofMP3.com says it will comply with. Even if this is true, AllofMP3 could never be what it was. If the reported agreement is implemented by Russia, any new AllofMP3.com would be as close to its current incarnation as today's Napster is to its original form.
As of the time of this post, AllofMP3.com was still up and running.
Dale's Comment: This is a sad day of sorts. While the legality of AllofMP3 was always murky, its success (second in world-wide sales only to iTunes) was a clear example of the fact that consumers are willing to pay a fair price for music from a site that services the users needs, if they are given fair rights to use the music they purchase. In the case of AllofMP3.com the user could chose the format they wished to purchase and there were no restrictions on the use they could make of the music. I look forward to the day the major labels learn this lesson and start offering DRM-free music for sale to honest users under fair terms.
- AllofMP3.com Lives On Despite U.S./Russian WTO Agreement (December 10, 2006)
- Russia Agrees to Shut Down AllofMP3.com at U.S. Request (November 29, 2006)
- Danish Court Blocks AllofMP3.com (October 25, 2006)
- Visa and Mastercard Stop Servicing AllofMP3.com (October 18, 2006)
- Russia Implements Internet Piracy Law in Gambit to Join WTO (September 1, 2006)
- BPI to Sue AllofMP3.com (July 5, 2006)
- AllofMP3.com Responds to Recent Scrutiny (June 6, 2006)
- Russia-based AllofMP3 Launches DRM-free allTunes (March 29, 2006)
- RIAA's Next Big Target: Russia (December 27, 2005)